The Impact of the Underlying Risk in Control Group and Effect Measures in Non-Inferiority Trials With Time-to-Event Data: A Simulation Study

Xuanqian Xie, Chenglin Ye, Nicholas Mitsakakis

Abstract


Background: We designed a simulation study to assess how the conclusions of a non-inferiority trial (NIT) will change if the observed risk is different from the expected risk.

Methods: We simulated Weibull distribution time-to-event data with a true hazard ratio (HR) being equal or close to 1. The empirical margins and sample size of a hypothetical trial were chosen based on a systematic review. Setting the significance level at 5% for the two-sided confidence interval (CI), we examined the statistical power (i.e., the probabilities of the upper limit of the 95% CI falling within the margin) of using two measures at various underlying risk in the control group.

Results: Using the empirical margins, HRs of 1.2, 1.35 or 1.5, the statistical power is lower than 0.22 when the underlying risk in the control group is less than 10%, but the power increases along with the higher underlying risk. The predicted upper limit of the 95% CI of the difference in two Kaplan-Meier estimators (DTKME) is low when risk is low (< 20%) or high (> 80%), but reaches the highest value when risk is around 50%. When the underlying risk in the control group is lower than 10%, measures of DTKME resulted in much higher power than HR.

Conclusions: When HR is the effect measure, the probability of concluding non-inferiority will increase as the underlying risk in the control group increases. When DTKME is the effect measure, the probability of concluding non-inferiority will decrease as the underlying risk in the control increases. In this case, the probability of concluding non-inferiority is at a minimum when the control risk reaches about 50%. When the risk in the control arm is less than 10%, the conclusion of an NIT is sensitive to the choice of effect measure.




J Clin Med Res. 2018;10(5):376-383
doi: https://doi.org/10.14740/jocmr3349e


Keywords


Non-inferiority trial; Time-to-event data; Underlying risk; Hazard ratio; Simulation study

Full Text: HTML PDF Suppl1

 

 

 

 
Home     |     Log In     |      About     |      Search     |      Current     |      Archives     |      Submit      |     Subscribe


Aims and Scope

Current Issues

Conflict of Interest

About Publisher

Editorial Board

Archives

Copyright

Company Profile

Editorial Office

Misconduct and Retraction

Permissions

Company Registration

Contact Us

Abstracting and Indexing

ICMJE

Ownership

Instructions to Authors

Access

Declaration of Helsinki

Contact Publisher

Submission Checklist

Reprints

Terms of Use

Company Address

Submit a Manuscript

Open Access Policy

Privacy Policy

Browse Journals

Publishing Fee

Publishing Policy

Disclaimer

Recent Highlights

Peer-Review Process

Publishing Quality

Code of Ethics

Advertising Policy

Manuscript Tracking

Advanced Search

For Librarians

Careers

Publishing Process

Publication Frequency

For Reviewers

Propose a New Journal

       

Journal of Clinical Medicine Research, monthly, ISSN 1918-3003 (print), 1918-3011 (online), published by Elmer Press Inc.     
The content of this site is intended for health care professionals.
This is an open-access journal distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License, which permits unrestricted
non-commercial use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Creative Commons Attribution license (Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International CC-BY-NC 4.0)


This journal follows the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE) recommendations for manuscripts submitted to biomedical journals,
the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE) guidelines, and the Principles of Transparency and Best Practice in Scholarly Publishing.

website: www.jocmr.org   editorial contact: editor@jocmr.org
Address: 9225 Leslie Street, Suite 201, Richmond Hill, Ontario, L4B 3H6, Canada

© Elmer Press Inc. All Rights Reserved.

DECLARATION: THIS JOURNAL SITE OUTLOOK IS DESIGNED BY THE PUBLISHER AND COPYRIGHT PROTECTED. DO NOT COPY!