Determinants of Exclusive Breastfeeding in South Gujarat Region of India

Rajesh K Chudasama, Panna C Patel, Abhay B Kavishvar


Objective: To estimate the situation of breastfeeding in Surat among infants and to determine variables associated to major risks for early weaning.

Design and settings: Mothers coming to the well baby clinic for immunization of infants at Government Medical College and Hospital were interviewed using pretested questionnaire.

Subjects: Mothers with their infants who have not completed one year of age.

Methods: In this cross sectional study, 498 mothers were selected for study from May to September, 2008. Survival analysis was the method used to calculate the prevalence and the median duration of breastfeeding. The Chi-square test was performed to compare the proportions; significance level was set at 5%. Odds ratio was used to measure the significance of association, with a 95% confidence interval. Logistic regression analysis was used to identify the risk factors for early weaning.

Results: The median length of exclusive breastfeeding was 6 months. Risk factors for early weaning were primiparity (OR = 3.01, 95% CI = 2.01- 4.51), consecutive delivery interval less than 24 months (OR = 1.79, 95% CI = 1.09 - 2.92), maternal age below 20 years (OR = 6.49, 95% CI = 2.69 - 15.61), and paternal occupation as labor (OR = 2.02, 95% CI = 1.36 - 3.00).
Conclusions: Exclusive breastfeeding practices are not in a better situation than at national level. The factors related to early weaning denote a weak breastfeeding support given by maternal and infant health services.


Publish ahead of print June 12, 2009


Exclusive breastfeeding; Weaning; Antenatal care; Postnatal care; Education

Full Text: HTML PDF

Browse  Journals  


Journal of Clinical Medicine Research

Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism

Journal of Clinical Gynecology and Obstetrics


World Journal of Oncology

Gastroenterology Research

Journal of Hematology


Journal of Medical Cases

Journal of Current Surgery

Clinical Infection and Immunity


Cardiology Research

World Journal of Nephrology and Urology

Cellular and Molecular Medicine Research


Journal of Neurology Research

International Journal of Clinical Pediatrics



Journal of Clinical Medicine Research, monthly, ISSN 1918-3003 (print), 1918-3011 (online), published by Elmer Press Inc.                     
The content of this site is intended for health care professionals.
This is an open-access journal distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License, which permits unrestricted
non-commercial use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Creative Commons Attribution license (Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International CC-BY-NC 4.0)

This journal follows the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE) recommendations for manuscripts submitted to biomedical journals,
the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE) guidelines, and the Principles of Transparency and Best Practice in Scholarly Publishing.

website:   editorial contact:
Address: 9225 Leslie Street, Suite 201, Richmond Hill, Ontario, L4B 3H6, Canada

© Elmer Press Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed in the published articles are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of the editors and Elmer Press Inc. This website is provided for medical research and informational purposes only and does not constitute any medical advice or professional services. The information provided in this journal should not be used for diagnosis and treatment, those seeking medical advice should always consult with a licensed physician.